Appeal an Assessment

If you disagree with your property’s market value, you have the right to appeal the value. To begin the appeal process, follow these steps:

  1. Contact the Assessor’s Office. (This should be your first step! Many issues are resolved over the phone)
    You may contact the Assessor’s Office in these ways:
    1. Call 507-357-8213 and speak with the assessor for your area
    2. Visit the Assessor's Office during normal business hours.
  2. Attend an Appeal Meeting (if issue not resolved) You may attend the appeal meetings listed on your Notice of Valuation.
    If your city or township has a Local Board of Appeal and Equalization, you must start there.
  3. Final options (if issue not resolved): If the dispute is still not resolved, you have another option.
    You may petition the Minnesota Tax Court. Tax Petitions may be filed after you receive your Notice of Valuation and before April 30 of the year the taxes are payable. Contact the MN Tax Court at 651-296-2806.