Pesticide Applicator Licensing

The information and resources provided on this page are for persons wishing to obtain a license to apply pesticides in the state of Minnesota. Pesticides include herbicides, insecticides, fungicides and other products intended to prevent, destroy, repel or mitigate a pest and substances intended for use as a plant regulator, defoliant or desiccant.

The Minnesota Department of Agriculture (MDA) issues licenses to Commercial and Noncommercial Pesticide Applicators and Structural Pest Control Applicators. For more information, see the Licenses and Inspections Locator.

Acquiring a Commercial or Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator License

  1. Apply
  2. Exam
  3. Results

How to Apply for a Commercial or Non-Commercial Pesticide Applicator License

Applicants must fill out a New Pesticide Applicator License Application. You may either:

  1. Additional Licenses
  2. Animal Waste Technician

If you already have a current Pesticide Applicator License but need to add an additional license or certification:

You will follow most of the steps for a normal new applicator license, except you will need to fill out the Duplicate Applicator License / Certification (PDF) and bring it with you on your test day, along with your payment made out to "Minnesota Department of Agriculture" for the amount found on your application ($10 for Commercial and Non-Commercial License Holders, $5 for Private License Holders). You will also need to bring a $20 check made out to "Le Sueur County."

If your license is up to date, you will not have to take Category A (Core) Exam, only the exam for the license/certification you are applying for.