Daycare & Foster Care / Adoption

Le Sueur County Human Services offers assistance in becoming licensed to provide daycare or foster care for children or support care for adults in your family residence and information/links for adoption services.

COVID-19 Update: What You Need to Know About Child Care

With Governor Walz’s decision to slow the spread of COVID-19 by closing schools, families are faced with decisions about how to balance working and providing care for their children. We encourage parents to make safe child care arrangements during this uncertain time and recognize that family, friends, and neighbors may be stepping up as caretakers for children. We recognize the desire of so many to help the community by posting on social media to offer child care support.  However, it is important to know that an “emergency child care license” does not exist in Minnesota and typically providers be should be licensed for Family Child Care prior to caring for more than one family of unrelated children on a scheduled basis. Le Sueur County prioritizes the well-being, health and safety of children and families. There are approximately 70 licensed family child care programs in Le Sueur County. These programs are led by licensed family child care professionals who have met the licensing requirements to care for children and who are prepared to help stand in the gap with families during this time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I find child care?
A: Emergency workers with children infant to school age in need of child care should call 1.888.291.9811 to be directed to available providers. In addition, families can view current providers on this map.
The following resources might be helpful to you as you look for care for your children:
Le Sueur County Daycare Provider Map Search 
Think Small - Searching for Child Care 
Parent Aware 
Minnesota Employment and Economic Development (DEED) Information and Resources for Workers
Additionally, your company’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) may have other helpful resources.

Q: Where do I find the information in regards to the Governor’s Emergency Executive Order?
A: You can read Governor Walz’s Emergency Executive Order here. MN DHS also has started a Statewide hotline for child care providers 1-888-234-1268 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Q: If I want to become licensed to provide family child care, what do I need to do?
A: Information about the licensing process is on the Le Sueur County website at this link. We also invite you to contact us at 507-357-8288. 

Q: As a licensed provider, what can I do to slow the spread of the virus within my daycare?
A: Conduct more frequent handwashing (at least 20 seconds) for all staff and children. Conduct more frequent classroom disinfecting for areas such as doorknobs, sign-in and sign-out areas, iPads, toys, tables, shelves, etc. Consider regular health checks (e.g., temperature and respiratory symptom screening) of students, staff, and visitors (if feasible). Closely monitor children for any signs of illness and separate them from other children until they are picked up.  Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands. Cover a cough. Cough or sneeze into an elbow or use a tissue. Immediately place it in the trash, and wash their hands.  Avoid handshaking and use other non-contact methods of greeting such as a hand wave or smile. Here are some additional resources with more information and materials for your use:
MN DHS COVID-19 Updates 
Schools and Child Care: Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
CDC COVID-19 Print Materials

Q: If I am a licensed family child care provider, will I be “shut down” because of COVID-19?
A: While the Family Child Care Rule makes some provision for providers following pandemic planning (245A.04, Subd. 15), there is no indication that would be the case at this time. The Governor has recognized the importance of child care, especially for health care professionals and staff; first responders; firefighters; correctional services; essential court personnel; MN State Veterans Home staff; state and local public health agency employees; MNsure Navigators; county financial/eligibility workers; county case managers; or any county staff in emergency management or health and human services. Review MN DHS’s communication to child care providers on March 15, 2020. 

Q: If I am a licensed family child care provider, may I apply for a variance to help accommodate children/families during this time?
A: Requests for variances are handled on a case-by-case basis. We invite you to contact your licensor or the coverage worker at 507-357-8288.

Q: What are the benefits of using a licensed program instead of a friend who is offering to care for a few children while the schools are closed?
A: Licensed family child care programs have demonstrated skills and training around key areas that are important to keep children healthy and safe. Licensed providers are trained in effective sanitation practices, which will help you and your family stay healthy. Each provider and all family members/individuals affiliated with their programs and homes have had background checks to ensure safety. Providers and associated caregivers are trained in First Aid, CPR, Supervision, Child Growth and Development/Behavior Guidance, Health & Safety, and more. Many participate in food programs, which ensure the children in their care are fed nutritious meals and snacks during the day. They are professionals who have emergency plans in place to help deal with the unexpected, as well as program plans to be prepared for the everyday with children.

If you have any questions or concerns, we invite you to contact Le Sueur County Licensing at 507-357-8288.

  1. Daycare
  2. Child Foster Care
  3. Adoption

Le Sueur County Human Services can assist in finding resources to apply for child care assistance, locate licensed child care providers, or to become a licensed child care provider. We strive to ensure that children are cared for in quality, safe, nurturing and culturally responsive settings and, to help parents find a licensed provider to entrust the care of their children while they work, attend school, or search for employment.

Child Care Assistance

The Child Care Assistance Program provides financial assistance to help families with low incomes pay for child care so that parents may pursue employment or education leading to employment, and that children are well cared for and prepared to enter school. 

Please see our full page on Child Care Assistance for more information.

Child Care Licensing

Become a Foster Parent or Daycare Provider

A person needs a nourishing stable environment in which to live regardless of his or her age - siblings, teens, young mothers and infants, and adults. There is a need of providers for every age group. 

Le Sueur County Human Services provides licensing services for county residents who wish to provide the following:

  • Adult Foster Care: Individuals provide care for adults with disabilities within their own home
  • Child Foster Care: Individuals provide care for children within their own home
  • Family Day Care: Individuals provide care for up to 12 to 14 children in a residential or commercial setting that meets all the licensing standards

For more information, please view the Administration of the Child Care Assistance Program (PUB).

Are you interested in becoming licensed?

All you need to do is call 507-387-8288 and ask to talk to the licensor. If the licensor does not answer, please leave a message and they will get back to you. Our agency does the licensing for Child Daycare, Child Foster Care, and Adult Foster Care. We have packets ready to mail out for each program area that we license.

The packet not only contains the forms you must fill out to get licensed, but we also provide you with the forms you will need once you are licensed. Each packet has a letter in it that explains what you need to fill out. If you run into a problem, call the licensor and they will help you through it. The licensor also does the orientation you are required to have in your home. The licensor also tries to set up trainings throughout the year locally.