If you are not married yet, and need to obtain your marriage license, scroll down to "MARRIAGE LICENSE".

If you are already married and are looking to get a replacement of your marriage certificate, scroll down to "MARRIAGE CERTIFICATES".

Marriage Certificates

Le Sueur County can issue any marriage certificate where the marriage license was applied for in the Le Sueur County.  A person can search for a marriage certificate by using Minnesota’s Online Marriage System, click here to search for your Marriage Certificate, or they can contact our office.

If you wish to apply for a marriage certificate via mail or email, please fill out the marriage certificate application and return it back to us with your payment.

Marriage Certificate Request Application

            Marriage Certificate - $9 each

Marriage Certificate Amendment

Only information prior to the marriage can be amended, such as a person’s name or birthday.  To apply for an amendment, the application will need to be filled out and notarized.   Appropriate certified documentation will also need to accompany the application, such as a certified birth certificate, or certified divorce decree, etc.

Marriage Certificate Amendment Form

            Marriage Amendments - $20 – Includes a new copy of their marriage certificate

Marriage License

Marriage license can be obtained from the Le Sueur County Recorder’s office.  The marriage license is valid for 6 months starting at the date of application, and is valid to use anywhere in the State of Minnesota.

Both applicants will need to be present to apply for the marriage license and they will need to bring in a valid photo ID.  They will also need to know the following information:

  • Full Legal Names (before and after marriage)
  • Address (before and after marriage)
  • Social Security Number (If applicable)
  • Birthdate
  • Place of Birth
  • Any Previous Marriages – The termination date and location – If the termination occurred within the past 6 months, you will need to present a certified copy of the document.
  • Any Felonies – The Location will be needed – Please be aware, applicants who have a felony are unable to change their name on a Marriage License.  You will have to contact Court Administration or your attorney on instructions on how to proceed..

If you took at least 12 hours of premarital education, you will need to hand in your original certificate in order to get the discount on the marriage license.   The certificate will need to be on the church/companies letterhead, list the state statues, list the couple’s names, and be notarized or have the church/companies seal.

Sample of Premarital Education Certificate

            Marriage License - $115

            Marriage License with Premarital Education Certificate - $40

Extensions of your marriage license can be obtained by meeting with our office prior to the expiration date.  All of your documents given to you at the time of the initial application will need to be brought in, in order for the extension to be granted.  Both parties will need to be present as well. The fee for the extension is $25 and will be extended for an additional 6 months from the date of extension.

  1. Recorder's Office

    Physical Address
    88 S Park Avenue
    Le Center, MN 56057